From the outside, 22 Portola Drive looks much as it did when it was built in 1948. One of a group of row of homes in Diamond Heights, its impeccably preserved facade remains true to the architect’s cohesive vision. Inside, however, this 4-bedroom, 3.5-bathroom home dazzles with sweeping views of The City and the Bay, a grand top-floor master suite with a solarium and deck and a custom-designed glass and steel staircase that is a four-story work of art.
Beautifully remodeled and expanded in 2003, 22 Portola is truly one-of-a-kind. In addition to allowing direct access to the garage and housing a 144-bottle Sub-Zero wine refrigerator, the welcoming foyer offers the first glimpse of the grand staircase created by Oakland artist John Lewis, whose work includes the Oklahoma City Memorial. Rising from the ground floor to the skylight-capped top level, the planes of rippled, textured glass create a stunning waterfall of light at the center of the home.
On the second level, broad windows in the open-plan great room bring breathtaking views of San Francisco and the Bay Bridge into a cozy living room with fireplace, a dining area with custom-designed lighting and a modern chef’s kitchen with granite counters and dual Miele ovens. Remote-controlled window shades filter morning light and provide privacy at the touch of a button. Behind the kitchen, a large family room doubles as a home theater, with sound-proofed walls, 7-channel surround sound and a convenient half bath. A private garden offers a leafy retreat just beyond the back door.
The third level features two comfortable rooms with gorgeous views at the front – perfect for bedroom or office use — and a full bath with two sinks, tub and shower steps away in the hall. A third bedroom with en-suite bath overlooks the back patio. And a laundry room with elevated, front-loading washer and dryer rounds out this floor.
At the fourth level, the staircase opens out to a solarium with windows that stretch from floor to ceiling and wrap into skylights at the top. Sliding doors grant direct access to a spacious deck with jaw-dropping panoramic views and room (and structural support) for a hot tub.
Designed for entertaining and relaxing, with plenty of space for lounge furnishings and a built in wet bar, this sunny aerie also fills the house with fresh air, warmth and light. Remote controlled windows at the top of the stairs create cross-ventilation that cools the entire house on hot days, and when San Francisco’s famous fog rolls in, 7-zone programmable radiant heating keeps every room snug and warm. Solar panels on the roof (accessible via a pull-down ladder on this level) supply most of the home’s electrical needs.
Tucked at the back of the fourth level, the grand master suite is a serene oasis. Its large en-suite bath features two sinks, a glass-block shower and a tub. A walk-in closet offers ample storage space, while a hidden laundry chute eliminates the need for a hamper and for carrying clothes downstairs – just one of this home’s many thoughtful design features.
Located at the heart of San Francisco, 22 Portola is close to shops, restaurants and transit stops in Noe Valley, the Castro district, Glen Park and West Portal and offers easy access to downtown, as well as freeways to the East Bay and Peninsula.
22 PORTOLA — FLOOR BY FLOOR
- Entry foyer with direct access from garage
- 144-bottle, 2-zone Sub-Zero wine cellar
- Hidden under-stair storage
- Doorbell / entry lock hardwired to allow guests to be admitted via telephone from upstairs
- Spacious one-car garage with room for bikes, tools, etc.
- Plus plentiful on-street parking just across Portola
- Open plan great room with sweeping views of downtown and the Bay Bridge
- Wood-burning brick fireplace
- Double-paned windows, custom-designed to open at the top (for ventilation and child-safety) or to the side, and fitted with light-filtering, remote-controlled privacy shades
- Dining area has custom-designed overhead lighting
- Chef’s kitchen equipped with two Miele ovens (regular and steam), stone counters
- Sound-proofed media/family room wired for 7-channel surround sound
- Built-in bookshelves with cabinets and flat-file drawers
- Half-bath with pedestal sink crafted from original support beam
- Access to private back garden patio
- Three welcoming bedrooms and two baths
- Two bedrooms in front with views of the city and Bay
- One in back with en-suite bath
- Additional full bath in with double sinks, shower and tub
- Laundry room
- Elevated front-loading washer and dryer (no bending!)
- Purpose-built space for a cat box, complete with dedicated ventilation system
- Solarium lounge
- Grand window wall to maximize light, air and views
- walk-out deck with panoramic views (engineered and wired to hold a hot tub)
- Custom-built shelving
- Wet bar
- Master suite
- Spacious, serene bedroom
- En-suite bath with two sinks, glass-tile shower, hidden laundry chute
- Walk-in closet
- Access to roof for easy cleaning and maintenance of solar panels (a spigot and hose on the roof means no need to lug a water bucket)
- Stairs are built with ½” thick stainless steel stringers, and each step is supported by two 1” diam. solid stainless steel rods
- Programmable 7-zone radiant floor heating system powered by a super-efficient Munchkin boiler
- Programmable lighting throughout
- Cat5e and RG-6 cable wiring in every room
- Insulated interior walls for efficient climate control and sound-dampening
- Designed with maximum cross-ventilation for natural air-conditioning on warm days
- Solar PV system: 16 185W Sharp panels
- Whole-house fire suppression system
- Engineered for earthquake safety
Please call Leslie Bauer 415.205.3899 or Michelle Balog 415.810.7890 for private showings.